AoB/Cir/ 07 2017
My dear Priests, Deacons, Religious and the Faithful of the Archdiocese of Bulawayo,
1. ADVENT 2017: Advent is a special time to prepare ourselves to receive the Redeemer in our hearts and families. The call that is given to us by the Church is: “Prepare the way of the Lord, make straight His paths!” (Mt 3:3) According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church No. 524, when the Church celebrates the liturgy of Advent each year, she makes present this ancient expectancy of the Messiah, for by sharing in the long preparation for the Saviour's first coming, the faithful renew their ardent desire for his second coming. By celebrating the precursor's birth and martyrdom, the Church unites herself to his desire: "He must increase, but I must decrease."
As we are continuing with our theme of the Catholic families let us make use of this time of Advent specially to purify our families of all that is not pleasing in the sight of the Lord. Let the doors of our homes be opened for the Saviour to come in. For our reflections during this time in our families we could use 1 Thessalonians 5:14-21 which reads: “And we exhort you, brethren, admonish the idlers, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all. Rejoice always, pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit, but test everything; hold fast what is good, abstain from every form of evil.”
I wish you all many blessings during this holy season of Advent.
2. Workshop on Safeguarding: There will be a workshop for all priests and religious on Child Safeguarding and the New Education Curriculum on 16 January 2018 at Emthonjeni Pastoral Centre starting at 09.00 and ending at 16.00. All priests and religious are invited to attend this very important workshop. This is facilitated by the ZCBC Education Secretary.
3. Archdiocesan Pastoral Council Executive 2018 - 2019:
Chairperson: Mr. Clemence Kunzekweguta
Vice Chairperson: Mr. Alexious Ndlovu
Secretary: Mrs. Siphosami Ncube
Vice Secretary: Mr. Alfred Phiri
Treasurer: Mr. Walter Motsi
Fr. Bothwell Nkomo : Assistant Priest, Brunapeg Mission
Fr. Elias Musona: Assistant Priest, St. Padre Pio, Emakhandeni
Fr. Gabriel Mthombeni: Assistant priest, Ekusileni Mission
5. AGM of the Pastoral Council 2017: This was well attended from all parishes and missions. I thank all of you for your valuable contributions in developing the theme for the coming year. The reports from parishes and missions also showed our move towards a growing and self supporting Church. Let us keep it up.
6. Spiritual Director for Associations: Effective from 1 January 2018 the Pastoral Director of Emthonjeni Pastoral Centre, currently Fr. Limukani Ndlovu will be the spiritual Director for the following associations: St. Ann’s, Sodality of our Lady, CWL, Sacred Heart. These associations are requested to focus their attention more on the spiritual and pastoral welfare of their members.
7. Archdiocese of Bulawayo Whatsapp Platform: We have a Whatsapp platform for you to receive news and information from the Archdiocese of Bulawayo. Those who wish to subscribe to this may contact the web administrator on 0785 507 767 or visit www.bulawayoarchdiocese.org. If you wish to publish anything on this platform you need to send your information directly to the web administrator using the above telephone number.
“A Christian does not read the horoscope to foresee the future; a Christian does not consult a fortune teller who looks into a crystal ball or reads your palm but to allow God to guide them in a journey full of surprises.”
“Another trait of the Christian is that he or she always carries a blessing. Christians speak well of the Lord and of others, and ask for God’s blessing to go forward on their paths”
- Pope Francis -
Archbishop of Bulawayo