Dear Priests, Deacons, Religious and Lay Faithful of the Archdiocese of Bulawayo,
1. Synod 2021 - 2023:
We are happy that a good number of parishes and most Associations have made lot of progress in disseminating information and following the synod process very well. Those who have not yet moved up much in this matter kindly do so as early as possible. Synodality is a process we need to follow in every aspect of our life. In every family and in the Church this has great significance and can make a great difference for our future as a community of believers.
"Synodal Church is a listening Church. Listening is more than hearing. We listen with heart to understand each other with respect and to learn from each other. Synodality is a vocation and path of the Church."
2. Pastoral Resolutions 2022:
Pastoral Resolutions for the Archdiocese of Bulawayo 2022 has been sent to all Priests, Religious and faithful. I urge all to implement this at their respective levels.
PASTORAL RESOLUTIONS FOR 2022
I. Personal Level:
1. Strengthening of personal faith
2. Personal conversion in moral matters
3. Volunteer for all Church activities
4. Learn the history of the Church
II. Family Level:
1. Learn and practice all the traditional practices of the Catholic Church (Devotions, Fasting, Penance, Abstinence, Pilgrimages...)
2. Revival of dysfunctional families
3. Family discussions on faith and moral matters
4. Family Day
1. Enforce participation of each and every member
2. Workshop on Servant Leadership
3. Personal integrity of members on faith and moral matters
4. Evangelise each other
IV. Parish/Mission Level:
1. Participation by all members especially the youth in all activities
2. Active and Effective Youth Ministry
3. Establishment of Junior Pastoral council
4. Strict adherence to the 5 Precepts of the Catholic Church
5. Effective implementation of all Lay Ministries
6. Improve communication systems to the faithful
7. Review the effectiveness of Pastoral Council based on Synodality
V. Archdiocese Level:
1. Effective Evangelization: Outreach Programme by Associations.
2. Servant Leadership by all members
3. Establishment of Junior DPC
Motto: "It is Me and You who make Catholic Church great."
3. Youth Ministry Office:
We want to assist our youth in every spiritual and pastoral aspect of their life. Our youth office was not functional for two years due to lack of personnel. Now Sr. Yeyani Nyoni FMDM and Ms. Debra Goya have volunteered to assist us in this ministry. They will be available in the Youth Office on Saturdays and Sundays here at St. Mary's Basilica.
4. Junior Pastoral Council:
The constitution of the Pastoral Council of the Archdiocese of Bulawayo is amended to add the provision for a Junior Pastoral Council effective from February 2022. Details of the regulations regarding the Junior Pastoral Council at Parish/Mission and Archdiocese will be made known to the priests and leaders. All parishes/Missions should implement this by end of February 2022.
5. Annual Retreat of Priests:
Last year due to Covid 19 challenges we were not able to have our regular retreat for priests. This year we hope to have this if everything goes well. First retreat will be 14-18 March and the second one will be 10-14 October. Every priest must attend either of the two at their convenience. Those who wish to attend the first one should register with me before 1 March.
6. Full Pastoral Council Meeting:
A meeting of the full pastoral council will take place on 12 February 2022 at St. Mary's Basilica starting at 09.00 hours and ending at 16.00. Details of this meeting is sent to all priests and leaders.
7. Precious Blood Care Centre:
This facility at Queens Park was officially opened on 5 January this year. We congratulate the CPS sisters for this new venture and wish them many blessings.
8. Golden Jubilee of Caritas:
This year Caritas will be celebrating 50 years of their service in Zimbabwe. Some programmes are lined up and it will be made known in due course.
9. Priestly Ordination:
Priestly Ordination of Privilege Tshabalala OMI is scheduled to take place on 29 January 2022 at Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish starting at 09.30.
+ Alex Thomas
Archbishop of Bulawayo