1. Christmas 2019: Christmas is that time of the year where we all look forward to spiritually and socially. We renew ourselves to receive the Lord in our hearts and families especially with spiritual activities. We also renew our family ties by connecting with each other in various ways. The current economic challenges might bring a gloom as we look forward to this great season. Although we are in difficulties in many ways let us not loose our focus on the Lord. Let us be filled with the love and joy of the Lord. Let us come closer to him offering all that we have especially our hearts.
I wish each of your many blessings of this Christmas and assure you my prayers. May you be blessed in your hearts and families.
2. Archdiocesan Pastoral Council Executive Members: The following members were elected at the AGM of the laity held on 1-3 November 2019.
Chairperson: Mr. Titus Mugadza from Our Lady of Fatima Parish, Pumula.
Vice Chairperson: Mrs. Sithokozile Anacleta Hove from Christ the King Parish, Hillside.
Secretary: Mr. Charles Mzizi from St. Thomas the Apostle Parish, Trenance.
Vice Secretary: Bongani Sibanda from Our Lady of Assumption Mission, Gwanda.
Treasurer: Nompilo Ngwenya from Queen of Peace Parish, Entumbane.
We wish them many blessings for 2020 and 2021.
3. Pastoral Theme for 2020: Our pastoral theme for 2020 will be “Baptised and Sent: We are His Disciples”. With this theme continuing from last year we wish to deepen our faith and action as a true disciple of Jesus. Each and every member of the Church should exercise his/her discipleship honestly. As a disciple of Christ we should be committed honestly and sincerely in our faith, in our participation of the activities of the Church. Especially let us go out to make others a disciple of Christ. Jesus sent out his disciples with the mandate; “ Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age." Mt 28:19-20.
4. Pastoral Resolutions for 2020: Pastoral Resolutions for the Archdiocese of Bulawayo will be sent to you as soon as we begin the new year 2020. Let us all be serious in implementing those resolutions at personal and parish/mission levels without any failure.
5. New Religious Superiors: Fr. Sholto Douglas OMI is chosen the new Mission Superior for Zimbabwe for the Oblates of Mary Immaculate. Sr. Martha Masunda FMDM is the new superior for the FMDM sisters in Zimbabwe. We wish them many blessings.
6. Appointments: Following new appointments are made in the Archdiocese of Bulawayo.
6.1. Fr. Johane Maseko, National Director for Youth and Laity, Africa Synod House, Harare.
6.2. Fr. Alphos Kapinda, Priest in charge, St. Antony’s Parish, Barham Green.
6.3. Fr. Pamidzai Mudzudza OMI, Priest in charge, St. Luke’s Mission, Kenmaur.
6.4. Fr. Aurelio Ayala OMI, Priest in charge, Body and Blood of Christ Parish, Kennilworth.
6.5. Fr. Phumulani Mlilo OMI, Acting Priest in charge, Divine Mercy Parish, Mahatshula.
6.6. Fr. Thembo Zhuva OMI, Assistant Priest, St. Luke’s Mission, Kenmaur.
7. Grade 7 Results 2019: Some of our schools have made slight improvements while others lost a bit due to the tough economic situation we are in. Brunapeg 30%; Ekusileni 40%; Embakwe 40%; Empandeni 44.6%; Magama 39.13%; Minda 84.4.%; Regina Mundi 46.1%; St. Bernard’s 88.7%; St. Joseph’s 30.1%; St. Patrick’s 94.21%; St. Thomas Aquinas 88.9%.
“Hope is difficult to understand: it is the most humble of virtues that we all need.”
MANY BLESSINGS FOR CHRISTMAS AND 2020
+ Alex Thomas
Archbishop of Bulawayo