Dear Priests, Deacons, Religious and all the Faithful.
1. Year of Consecrated Life: On 7th February 2015 is a day for all the religious and priests to celebrate the Year of Consecrated Life. On this day the religious will celebrate the feast of the Presentation of the Lord in the temple. The programme for the day is already sent to you.
The aims of the Year of Consecrated Life according to Pope Francis are as follows; 1. To look to the past with gratitude. 2. To live the present with passion for Christ and the Church. 3. To embrace the future with hope.
2. Congratulations to Sr. Ann Doyle SND: She has completed 65 years of her religious life. Her commitment and work has seen many youngsters being educated and brought into the light of the Gospel. She is a good example in this year of Consecrated Life.
3. Archdiocesan Elections for Associations: The new committees elected for the coming two years are as follows.
3.1. St. Ann’s Association: Chairlady: Mrs. Shellot Gorimani (Eastern Deanery), Vice Chairlady: Mrs. Naume Tsondayi (Soweto Deanery), Secretary: Mrs. Monica Julia Phiri(Soweto Deanery), Vice Secretary: Mrs. Agnes Makaramayi (Eastern Deanery), Treasurer: Mrs. Maggie Nkomo(North West Deanery).
3.2. Catholic Youth Association (CYA): Chairperson: Hillary Mavise (Soweto deanery),Vice Chair Person: Eric Banda (Eastern Deanery), Secretary: Frank Martin Phiri (NorthWest deanery),Vice Sec.: Angela Gumbo (Eastern deanery), Treasurer: Ruvimbo Chikoto (Soweto deanery), Organising secretary: David Mumba (Northwest deanery), Deputy Org Sec.: Takudzwa Mashayahanya (Eastern deanery).
3.3. Sodality of our Lady: Chairlady: Mrs. Cornelia Ndlovu (Eastern Deanery), Vice Chairlady: Sikatazile Ndlovu (Soweto Deanery), Secretary: Cresencia Dube (North
West Deanery), Vice Secretary: Rosslyn Maphosa (Eastern Deanery), Treasurer: Joyce Change (Eastern Deanery).
Other Associations are in the process of completing the elections.
4. Parish Appointments:
4.1. Fr. Gilbert Moyo is appointed priest in charge of Holy Trinity, Cowdrey Park.
4.2. Fr. Alex Sikhohliso Ndlovu is appointed priest in charge of St. Patrick’s, Makokoba.
4.3. Fr. Mackenzie Netha is appointed assistant priest at Holy Cross, Tshabalala.
4.4. Fr. Peter Mthombeni has taken retirement from active ministry and will reside at Lourdes Villas.
4.5. Fr. Kevin Takaendesa is appointed dean of the Soweto Deanery.
5. Lent 2015: The theme of Pope Francis’ message for this year is "A merciful heart does not mean a weak heart". This message is sent to all the parishes. As the Holy Father says; “Lent is a time of renewal for the whole Church, for each communities and every believer. Above all it is a 'time of grace”. Let us use this time the best way possible. Let this be a time for many blessings to each of you personally, for your families and parishes.
During Lent we encourage each and every Catholic to contribute generously to the Lenten collections to assist the social needs of the Archdiocese.
6. Retreat for Priests: This will take place from 09 – 13th March 2015 at Emthonjeni Pastoral Centre. Those wishing to join it kindly register your names at the Archbishop’s office.
7. Chrism Mass: will take place on 31 March 2015 at St. Mary’s Cathedral Basilica starting at 5.30 p.m.
8. Grade 7 Results for 2014: We congratulate our schools in the province of Bulawayo for their good performance. Out of the 120 schools in Bulawayo Dominican Primary is at 4th position with 95.30%, St. Patrick’s at 6th position with 94.70%, St. Bernard’s at 14th position with 91.80% and St. Thomas Aquinas at 19th position with 89.30%.
9. Pastoral Council Levy: This agreed upon levy by the faithful at their AGM of $2.00 per Catholic from the city parishes and $1.00 from the rural missions should be submitted to the Financial Administrator by the end of February for 2015. The Pastoral Council of the Archdiocese uses this fund to sponsor the ordinations, common functions in the Archdiocese and to develop Emthonjeni Pastoral Centre. Priests and chairpersons of the parishes and missions are reminded of this responsibility.
I wish and each every one of you many blessings during the season of Lent and assure you my prayers.
+ Alex Thomas
Archbishop of Bulawayo
“Consecrated life is a gift to the Church, it is born of the Church, it grows in the Church and it is entirely directed to the Church”. - Pope Francis -
"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." - St. Thomas Aquinas -